Sunday, January 1, 2017

SUNDAY WATERCOLORS : Favorite watercolors from 2016 + my palette


Happy New Year everyone!

What a fun year 2016 has been! After 20 years of hardly looking at my watercolors (and when I did take them out I always ended up frustrated and disappointed because nothing turned out the way I wanted it to and it never looked the way it used to 20 years ago) But after a but of struggle I have finally found my way back to painting, which I am sooo happy about. And that is thanks to you my dear bloggie friends who have always been so supportive and cheered me on - a special shout out to Michele, Jeanne, Angela and Miriam. It is also thanks to Charlie Shields who started the World of watercolor Group this summer which really made me challenge myself to try different subjects (earlier I almost only painted lanscapes) Being Doodlewashed was really the crafting highlight of this year!

A lot of people ask me what colors I use for my paintings and even though my aim is to use a more limited palette I hardly ever choose the colors I'm going to use for a painting before I start, but test them out as I go along. Therefore it is hard to say exactly what colors I used after I'm done, and especially if a couple of weeks have passed between painting, photographing and blogging about it. 
Instead I'll share my favorite colors here, the ones I use for most of my paintings: Unless it says something else they are Winsor Newton Artist's (now Professional) colors. (DS means Daniel Smith)

Raw sienna
Burnt Sienna
Raw Umber
Burnt Umber
Payne's Grey
Lunar Black DS
Viridian
Undersea Green DS
Quin Rose DS or Quin Magenta 
Cadmium Orange
Quin Gold or Indian Yellow
Hansa Yellow Mid DS
Cobalt Blue
French Ultramarine
Cereulian
Manganese Blue DS or WN (WN is a little greener)
Antwerp blue
Neutral tint

Other colors I take out for fun:

Moonglow DS
Hematite burnt scarlet DS
Cobalt Turquoise
Dioxide Violet
Transparent Pyrrol Orange DS


The paper I use is 140lb Arches rough or fine cold pressed. I also like Fabriano Artistico rough and fine.
I share my watercolors and cards here:  My Instagram
If you want to see more of my watercolors, you can view them HERE or in my PINTEREST FOLDER

Have a greatday, hugs, Karin 

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Happy New Year, Karin! Oh my goodness, thanks for the shout out. So not necessary, but sweet of you. I am so very grateful that I found your blog this year. You have no idea how much your work, both in watercolor and in cardmaking have inspired me and touched me. As you know, I absolutely adore what you do with watercolors. I am so in awe of your talent. I don't possess that kind of talent, but I do know what makes me happy when I look at it, and your work does that for me. Thank you and I cannot wait to see what you create in 2017. I also adore your simple, but oh so impactful card making style. Your cards make me smile! Have an awesome first day of 2017! Hugs!

Lin said...

Karin, what I wouldn't give to have this talent of yours! So glad that you are nurturing it and sharing it with all of us - I do so enjoy seeing your posts when you feature one of your paintings! Happy New Year, and continued creativity for you in 2017!

Karren said...

A wonderful selection showcasing your amazing talent! I don't comment very often but every week my jaw drops when you post your latest watercolor.

Joan said...

I've just found your blog in the past few months and I love your cards. I will be spending time looking back through your archives for more inspiration. As for your watercolors.... they take my breath away. I literally look at them for ages, enjoying each paint stroke and white space. Each and every one lifts my spirit up. Thank you so much for sharing them.

Miriam Prantner said...

Some of my very favorites. I really love how you've branched out into animals this year!